client, a venture-backed transforming medical imaging software company, has an
opening for a Controller.
Controller will be responsible for financial reporting, revenue recognition,
contract management, risk management, treasury, and financial planning in a
rapidly growing start-up. The role reports into top management and supervises
one staff member, initially.
The position requires handling a fast-paced environment
with the appropriate attention to detail and ability to juggle many
expectations and make the right priority calls.
A passion for innovation and transformation in healthcare is important
to this mission-driven organization.
Martell, Inc. is a leading financial consulting and recruiting firm that
provides solutions to established and emerging growth companies. We
represent some of the strongest companies in the Bay Area with an emphasis
in technology and life sciences start-ups.
ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of increasingly responsible roles
in finance, including accounting and prior Controller assignments. They will be a good problem-solver who
partners and communicates well across the organization; someone who will thrive
in a fast-paced “up-for-anything” environment.
Experience with global operations is a plus. This position is based in the US.
Duties and Responsibilities:
the financial planning and accounting activities as well as its relationship by
performing the following duties personally or through subordinate personnel.
- Work with business leadership on the strategic plan including the corresponding
one and 5-year business plans, and preparing reports for reporting
- Responsible for the annual planning process and updating these
- Manage stock plan administration
- Oversee taxes, calculations and payments for US and Canada
(income, property, franchise, sales/use, business, etc.)
- Manage vendor contracts for services, consultants &
- Manage approval and payment of legal invoices, 409B valuations
- Responsible for monthly financial close processes including
reporting and consolidations. Ensure the accuracy of the
financial records in accordance with GAAP
- Direct the accounting/finance staff on the procedures and computer
application systems necessary to maintain accurate financial records and to
afford adequate accounting controls
- Assess corporate insurance requirements and ensure coverages meet
contractual and operational needs
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory and government reporting
requirements (DE, CA, SF City/County, etc.)
- Oversee all equity-related matters (cap table, option activity,
- Appraise the organization's financial position and issue
periodic reports on organization's financial stability, liquidity, and growth.
Manage and forecast cash requirements and ensure spend is in line with these
- Support department heads by providing information on spend vs.
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies
- Implementing appropriate internal control processes
- Support outside audit and tax return prep by outside CPA firm
and supply information and schedules as may be requested
- Hire, train, manage and mentor accounting/finance department
- Be responsible for meeting quality system requirements for
- Supervisory Responsibilities: One direct report
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance (if sufficient
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or other equivalent
certification preferred but not required
- MBA or Master level degree in discipline preferred
- 10-years prior work experience in Accounting/Finance with
experience as Controller, and Financial Planning and Analysis
- Strong Excel skills, QuickBooks, Expensify
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks, ensure accuracy and
timeliness in a fast-paced and changing work environment