Our client, a growing Bio Technology company has an opportunity for a Cost Accountant to join their growing organization. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of this expanding organization and make a contribution.
Responsible for building and improving the existing cost accounting process for the company. This position will work with cross functional team(s) to develop, implement and maintain cost accounting programs and procedures to ensure the collection, analysis and reporting of manufacturing costs on a timely and accurate basis.
· Sets and maintains all standard costs on an accurate and timely basis
· Develops all labor and overhead burden rates once per year during the standard cost cycle
· Reports and analyzes quarterly standard and gross margin by product line
· Reports and analyzes manufacturing variances as reported on the COGS section of the P&L
· Performs on-going cost rolls on a periodic basis to keep standards cost structure current
· Performs month-end inventory reconciliations on a book to perpetual basis. This involves the inventory movements in house and with our external contract manufacturers
· Sets up monthly accounting entries to record material consumption, usage, scrap and other manufacturing process adjustments
· Works closely with VP of Manufacturing and/or COO to review work order analysis with our external contract manufacturers to identify costing issues and initiates corrective financial actions, as necessary
· Assists with the analysis of invoices, required documentation and the proper booking per G/L account to facilitate recording of material costs, processing fees and adjustments
· Works with purchasing, maintains a monthly Purchase Price Variance (PPV) report and establishes a capitalized PPV variance to be booked monthly
· Develops monthly inventory package that reports out inventory valuations, excess and obsolescence requirements, and all other cost adjustments for the period. Prepares reports to be used to record the appropriate accounting entries
· Calculates, maintains and manages obsolete, excess and lower of cost of market (LCM) inventory reserves and all related reporting
· Develops a weekly inventory report for use by VP of Manufacturing and others as needed
· Prepares MTD/QTD/YTD inventory roll forward analysis based on sales forecasting process. This activity is a cross functional activity to be coordinated with our COO, VP of Global Commercialization and VP of Manufacturing
· Provides audit oversight from a finance perspective on cycle count and WIP validation systems. Audits completeness and accuracy. Uses ABC analytics to set cycle count parameters annually
· Develops metrics and tracking data for major cost drivers
· Works closely with R&D and Operations in the development of bill of materials for existing and new products
· Works closely with the Controller on annual planning and related financial analysis needs
· Participates actively in the implementation and maintenance of ERP system with the main focus on cost accounting / operations modules
· Responsible for the preparation and implementation of the standard operating procedures related to cost accounting standard operating processes
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
· BS in Finance/Accounting
· A minimum of 2 years cost experience in a manufacturing environment
· Strong cost accounting and inventory experience within a medical device environment or similar industry
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with all levels of management with the additional skill of assuming a leadership role in driving cost accounting excellence.
· Able to present materials in PowerPoint or other presentation formats to senior staff and other cross functional groups as needed.
· Experience in cost accounting, budgeting, standard cost modeling, and financial analysis
· Experience with database programs and other ERP systems related to manufacturing processes is desirable
· Able to travel both internationally and domestically (approx. 10% of time)
Murdock Martell, Inc. is a leading financial consulting and recruiting firm that provides solutions to established and emerging growth companies. We represent some of the strongest companies in the Bay Area with an emphasis in technology and life sciences start-ups.